UConn Home Student Health Services

Immunization Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What immunizations are necessary?

    Please refer to this page: http://www.shs.uconn.edu/immunization_requirements.html/.

  2. What does "proof of adequate immunization" mean?

    Documented proof is a written record of the dates of your immunizations, titers or incidence of diseases provided by your healthcare providerís office, a high school university or college. Self reporting of dates is not accepted. All immunization information must be entered on the Health History Form: http://www.shs.uconn.edu/docs/student_health_history_form.pdf.

  3. What happens if I cannot obtain all required immunizations or TB testing before I arrive on campus?

    If you are a Storrs student, Student Health Services can provide you with missing vaccinations, blood tests or TB testing on a fee for service basis. (Regional Campus students must use providers in their local community.)

  4. What should I do if my immunization records are lost or unavailable?

    You should have blood tests called titers to show immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox).

  5. Why do I need to complete the Health History Form, canít I just have my healthcare provider send you what they have on file for me?

    While records from your healthcare provider may include some of the immunization information, it may not include all of the State of Connecticut required immunizations and up to date information on your TB risk or status. The Health History form also asks you to document your personal health concerns and important information on who to contact in case of an emergency.

  6. My blood titer result was equivocal or borderline. Do I need another immunization?

    Yes because we cannot accept borderline immunity. You will need another immunization to boost your immunity.

  7. Is it mandatory for students to receive the meningitis vaccine prior to entering UCONN?

    Students living in on-campus housing are required to show proof of having received a dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine within the 5 years prior to matriculation.

  8. Which meningitis vaccine should I get?

    Only the quadrivalent conjugate meningococcal vaccine is acceptable. It protects against the four most common strains of meningitis (A,C, Y and W-135). Acceptable vaccines include Menactra (USA), Menveo (USA), Mencevax (worldwide) and Nimenrix (EU).

  9. Do I need a TB test?

    You only need a TB test if you answer "Yes" to questions B, C or D in the TB Risk Assessment section of the Health History Form. If you answered "Yes" to question A, you should NOT get another TB test. See question 12.

  10. Which TB test should I get?

    You can get either a TB skin test, or a TB blood test. The only acceptable skin test is the PPD tuberculin 5 T.U. (Mantoux TB test). We do not accept multiple puncture tests such as TINE, Monovac and so on. If you cannot get the Mantoux test, you should get a TB blood test, such as the Quantiferon or T-Spot, or any other IGRA (interferon-gamma release assay) test.

  11. How should the TB skin test be documented?

    TB test results must be read within 48 to 72 hours after administration and signed by a healthcare professional. A positive result must be documented in mm. of induration; we cannot accept a simple reading of "positive" or "negative". The test date must be within 6 months of arrival on campus. All tests must be documented on the Health History Form.


  12. I have had a positive TB skin test in the past. What do I do?

    If it measured 10mm. or more you will need to provide documentationof a prior or current course of TB medication.

  13. I have received BCG in the past. Do I still need a TB test?

    Yes, you still need a TB test, unless you had a previous Mantoux TB test that was positive with an indurated reaction of 10mm or greater. In that case, you must have documentation of a negative chest x-ray and be without symptoms. The preferred test for someone who has received BCG is the TB blood test.

  14. Should I receive an immunization if I have a cold or I am ill with a fever?

    If you are ill with a mild cold, you may receive an immunization; however, you should not receive immunizations if you have a fever.

  15. Can I receive more than one immunization at a time?

    Yes, in most cases you may receive multiple vaccines at one time.

  16. What are the common side effects from immunizations?

    Prior to all injections, you will be provided with information for all the immunizations (http://www.immunize.org/vis/) you are about to receive. The most common side effect is soreness at the site of the injection.

« Back to top
Division of Student Affairs
One Division. Multiple Services. Students First.